History, Features, Finance
STATEMENT OF SIGNIFICANCE - ALL SAINTS’ CHURCH, SUTTON
One and a half churches are recorded in the Sutton entry of the Domesday Book.
The ground where the present church stands may have been considered sacred long before.
Sutton Hoo, the site of the 7th century great ship burial, discovered in 1938, lies within one and a half miles and archaeologists now consider it to be part of a very much older cemetery covering a wide area.
Evidence has been found of a mid-Saxon settlement in the neighbourhood of the church.
Sutton, like many medieval churches was divided into two distinct parts, the nave and chancel, by a rood screen, with a rood loft over it (perhaps for singers); the steps which led up to the loft survive in the the wall by the chancel arch.
1642: Collapse of the tower which, most likely, had been seriously weakened by a fire in 1616. It stood in the position of the present porch and was never rebuilt. Remnants of its stair were found when the nave was re-roofed.
c.1854-76: Thorough Victorian restoration of the medieval building. Timbers of nave roof renewed, removal of screen, restoration of window tracery, new East window.
1876: New reredos and porch by Edward Low.
1987: During the hurricane, East window sucked out as tree fell on nave roof
1996: Organ restored and west end of nave re-organised to form a Vestry.
1999: Timber belfry constructed to house the single bell which had been silent for many years.
The Font: Early 15th century. Quite exceptional now and must have astonished many when new. Its octagonal tapering bowl and very fine carvings are beautiful.
More details can be found here
Medieval: There are remains of medieval work in the south east corner of the chancel.
Memorial slabs: there are some fine 17th and 18th century slabs in the floor of the nave and chancel, notable to the Burwell family who were generous benefactors.
The financial position of the church is stable, but has been supported by bequests and donations from local families.
It is our aim to increase regular giving by events and personal giving to enable the church to move forward.
We give regularly to charities chosen by the PCC and reviewed each year.